Our social:

Monday, 28 August 2017

PERSONAL LEADERSHIP: GOAL SETTING AND PLANNING FOR BUSINESS AND CAREER SUCCESS



In 1979, an MBA graduating class of Harvard Business school was asked this simple question: Have you set written goals and created a plan for their attainment? 

The following was discovered:  84% of the entire class had set no goals at all, 13% of the class had set written goals but had no concrete plans, 3% of the class had both written goals and concrete plans.
10 years down the road, it was discovered that  the 13% of the class that had set written goals but had not created plans, were making twice as much money as the 84% of the class that had set no goals at all.

The shocker to most scholars was that, the 3% of the class that had both written goals and a plan were making ten times as much as the rest of the 97% of the class. 

This singular question was on their goals in life and we can see that success without goals and plans is almost impossible.  Also, goals and plans go hand in hand  to propel success.

“He who falls to plan has planned to fail.” Having a dreams and visions are good, but we must have goals and  plan for the dreams and visions to become reality; else they’ll only be in view. A lot of people have gone to their graves with their dreams and visions, because they have refused to set goals and plans to achieve them. I’m not talking about those that died young. I’m talking about those that died in old age.

Goal setting and planning are very vital in business and career development. But this post will be addressing the first and foremost area that really needs planning, which is your personal life.
  
Setting goals and planning your personal life is the first in the row; the success of your business/career emanates or radiates from your personal life, to a large extent, that is why you need to organize your life or live an organized life. A life that is not planned can never be organized.

You want to be a success in the Enterprise, right? Just keep your cool; let’s address your personal life first; planning is our life’s responsibility. Just as you cannot spell words without knowing how to memorize A-Z, so it is with achieving success in life without goals and plans.

 A writer once said, “it is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of our irresponsibility”. When you don’t plan you’re being irresponsible & the consequences of your being irresponsible will inevitably fall on you. But that is not your portion.

“The best the world can contribute to your making or unmaking is 25% the remaining 75% is made up of your personal input.” - David Abioye.  So, it is only what you allow that prevails in your life. You don’t wait for a change; you create the change that you desire”. You create the change you desire with goals, planning and action.

Do you know that goal setting precedes planning; the same way dreams and visions precede goals? After dreaming about your desired future, the next step is to set goals; goals put you on the ‘driver’s seat.’ A driver does not just drive a car without having where to go to and how to get there. The “Where” is the Dream, while the how is the “plan.” The major points you go through to your destination.

Goals simply put, are the milestones you need to achieve to get to your dreams and visions, while planning is to outline the activities you intend to carry out to achieve your goals and the resources you have and/or expect. In reality, less than 5% of people ever write down detailed plans for their lives. Those who plan their lives/time ahead achieve 50-100 times more.

Goal setting and planning are exercises that force you to think ahead, manage your time and increase your results. For effectiveness, they must be done before time comes, not when time comes.

Do not act before you plan; plan before you act. Acting before planning puts your life on the reverse as you will keep revisiting your past. When you run without a proper plan, you’ll be forced to stop running. Your prayers, for instance, cannot be effective if your planning is defective.

What are you expecting in the next 1month, 1year, 5 years, etc? What do you intend giving up to get what you want? According to Napoleon Hill “there is no such reality as something for nothing”. What is your seed? Without seed, there is no multiplication.

In a nutshell, have goals and plans for your dreams & visions and follow through.  I urge you this minute to pause, write, pursue and monitor your goals and plans.  

Think about this!

To be continued….



0 comments:

Post a Comment